Fossick organizer Peter Daniels (left) debates the origins of Stoke sub Hamdon Priory, a complex of buildings and ruins which initially formed a 14th-century college for the chantry chapel of St Nicholas. The only building remaining from the college is a great hall and attached dwelling. It was formed to serve the free chapel in a nearby manor house but fell into disrepair and was rebuilt around 1460. After the Dissolution it became a tenanted farm until the mid 20th century.  Despite being known as "The Priory" the building has never been used as such, there being no record of a monastic house in Stoke sub Hamdon.